Thursday, March 3, 2011

Thoughts From a New Land


Let's just start by saying: Sorry, no pictures yet.  

We have moved.  We now live in Kalimantan which is on the island of Borneo.  We moved on February 8th.  It is hot here and a bit more difficult to live here.  We do have a KFC and I am enjoying it even though when we move from this city I will probably never eat it again.

Big C has had a hard time transitioning.  She seems to think that she lost everything that was familiar to her so therefore she may lose every person familiar to her as well.  With that thinking motivating her I have not gone to the bathroom or taken a shower alone since February 7th.  Lord, bless this child and give her comfort in the knowledge that no matter what you will be with her and caring for her.

Baby C, however, transitioned with ease.  In the past two days she has begun standing alone!  She is developing so quickly and while I am celebrating her new independence with her, I am also lamenting the quick disappearance of my baby girl phase.  She thinks that Big C is the funniest person in her life.  Big C can just run by Baby C and Baby C will let out a big belly laugh.  Big C thinks Baby C is the cutest person in her life and loves to run up to Baby C, press her face to her sister's face, and say "you are so cute" then quickly run away bringing on another belly laugh from the baby.

I am learning, continue to learn, to walk each day in light of God's grace and God's goodness.  Last night at 8 pm we had some unexpected guests drop by.  I was about to take a shower and put Big C to bed, Donny was out leading the nightly devotion with the Bible school students, and the last thing that I wanted to do was to welcome this couple into my home.  However, I kept thinking how we are called to love all people and to treat all people with gentleness and respect and to be hospitable.  With that running through my mind I opened our door wide with a smile on my face and invited them in.  We had not put dinner away yet so I offered them dinner which happened to be a very special dinner in this area; jungle pork, aka warthog.  Donny came home and we shared pictures from our wedding and chatted until they were ready to leave.  I did run take a shower while they were eating and they left soon after eating.  

Often we forget all that Christ called us to when Christ said "follow me".  We like to think that if we profess Christ as our savior then we are done with the whole Christianity thing.  That is false thinking though.  Christianity, being a follower of Christ, should affect how we face each and every moment of our life.  It should affect our decision to swing wide our door or to just stick our face out and say "could you come back tomorrow, I'm busy right now".  Christ in our lives should affect how we treat people.  Is it really important that we belittle others so that we can debate our doctrinal beliefs or should we say like Peter in 1 Peter "seek peace and work for peace"?  These are just minor issues that we face each and every day.  Are we treating people with respect and gentleness or are we a bit too harsh?  Is the love of Christ flowing out of our very being or is the love of Christ just something we talk about?

These are just some thoughts and challenges that I have been faced with during our first month in a much harder place to live than I have ever lived before.  When comfort is only something you dream of is it still something that you can seek to give to others?

No comments: